Determine Your Party Style
By Anthony Mesaros
Planning and hosting a memorable party is an adventure in itself. As you embark on this adventure you are creating an event that reflects your personal style while holding true to the interests and preferences of the guest of honor, the birthday boy or girl. Most birthday parties for young children are thrown by a parent or guardian. As the birthday candles start adding up on the cake it is more likely that a friend or loved one will throw the party. Either way the person planning the party has an attachment to the guest of honor and knows them well enough to plan quite a memorable event for the birthday boy or girl. At this point you need to determine how much of the party is going reflect your style and how much of it is designed to please the guest of honor. For young kids it is easy, as they will focus more on their favorite color or their favorite animated movie character and will look past the font used on the party printables. Your party style may be quite aimed to remind you of your favorite party from your youth or you may lean towards specifically designing and tailoring every detail of a theme to impress the moms of the kids as much as the kids. It is important to define your vision to help solidify the theme of the party. So you know you love to be the host but what kind of Hostess are you ? Take the Quiz developed by Gemma Touchstone of www.IlovePartyStyle.com grab her new book PARTY STYLE and learn how to plan the ultimate kids party. But first Take the quiz.
What’s Your Party Style? Take the Quiz
- Which terms would your friends use to describe you?
- a) Traditional, prim, and proper
- b) Sharp, honest, and direct
- c) Fun, playful, and spirited
- d) Relaxed, social, and well-read
- e) Bright, innovative, and forward-thinking
- When you look for new clothes, what color palette do you seek?
- a) Basics, like navy, brown, grey, khaki, or white
- b) Neutrals and blacks
- c) A rainbow of bright colors
- d) Earth tones, tan, brown, olive, rust, and charcoal
- e) Black with touches of bold color
- What is your “dream home” setting like?
- a) Traditional colonial. A separate library and dining room. Fresh flowers from the garden.
- b) Over-sized couches. Mismatched dining chairs. Antique accents and quirky art.
- c) Mansion in the Hamptons. Monogrammed pillows & towels. Blue and white striped wallpaper.
- d) Grand staircase. His and hers dressing rooms. Works of craft galore. Furry pillows on your bed.
- e) Modern, clean lines. Simple, open layout with smart controls. Outdoor living spaces.
- For a casual Saturday morning out with another couple, which would you wear out?
- a) Some comfortable broken-in khakis, and a collared shirt
- b) A sleek V-neck top and modern-fit straight-leg pant
- c) A fun, casual floral dress or bright mixed prints
- d) A pair of worn chinos, a PETA T-shirt with funky accessories
- e) Your favorite jacket with a plain shirt with a pair of light-indigo jeans
- Which of the following best describes the décor of your home?
- a) Comfortable and traditional (think Ralph Lauren)
- b) Streamlined, tonal, with clean surfaces (think Tom Ford)
- c) Fun, kitschy, and unorthodox (think Alice in Wonderland)
- d) Lots of rugs, earth tone, and floral prints (think 70s)
- e) Minimalist, architectural, and sculptural (think modernist, futuristic)
- Your dream vacation would be:
- a) A London getaway. Quick visit to royal palace, Victorian tea time and maybe a Polo Match.
- b) Visit a small village. Tour the town with the locals. Sleep at a hostel.
- c) Yachting! Gourmet breakfast on the boat, fishing for lunch, strawberries and champagne at sunset.
- d) Off to Paris! Chauffeured limousines and an assistant to carry your shopping bags, of course.
- e) Anywhere where there are historical and architectural landmarks, art museums, and exotic foods.
- Your preferred PJ’s are:
- a) A matching set with a button down top and printed pants.
- b) Cute long johns and a loose tee.
- c) A simple nightie with a cozy robe.
- d) An old white ribbed tank that you stole from your guy and matching panties.
- e) A silk & lace set…preferably in red.
- What is your go-to makeup routine?
- a) Pink blush on the cheeks, simple mascara and curled lashes.
- b) A healthy tan and some lip gloss.
- c) Soft red lips, fresh skin and winged eye-liner.
- d) Bronzed face with a smoky eye and lip gloss.
- e) Minimal and natural, just lips and mascara.
- You’re meeting your girlfriends for Sunday Brunch. You would most likely wear:
- a) Colored denim, striped sweater, diamond studs and your Michael Kors purse.
- b) Maxi dress, your vintage denim jacket, boots and crossover bag.
- c) Your favorite jeans, white t-shirt, brown belt and ballet flats.
- d) Leggings, black tank, a leopard scarf and your new YSL pumps.
- e) Low-rise jeans, a Silk Crepe Blouse, natural brown oxfords, with a Fold Top Tote bag
- Your favorite nail polish colors are:
- a) Neutral colors or French tips. They go with everything.
- b) No nail polish! That stuff is all chemicals!
- c) Red or dark red. Why mess with a good thing.
- d) Wacky designs that you got on your girl’s day out with your niece.
- e) Depends on what I’m wearing tonight…
- Your signature accessories look is:
- a) My grandmother’s pearls and my gold watch.
- b) However many pieces I can layer together. No such thing as too many rings.
- c) A bracelet my mother gave me and my gold studs.
- d) The watch du jour worn too loose and hanging with bangles on the other wrist.
- e) Long chandelier earrings and perfectly matched clutch.
- When you walk into a crowded room, what would you prefer to do?
- a) Blend in
- b) Be in control, exude power
- c) Be animated
- d) Seem natural and easygoing
- e) Make a statement
Now tally up your choices and let’s see what your Party Style approach is.
If you were mostly A’s then you are… Classically Classic
If you were mostly B’s then you are… Over the Top/Visionary
If you were mostly C’s then you are… Party Stylist/DIY
If you were mostly D’s then you are… Pinning Diva
If you were mostly E’s then you are… Modern Hostess